Need a marketing workshop for your members, clients or staff?

Wednesday

Playing with Palindromes



As a wordsmith, it's perhaps no surprise that I love words - and one of the best books I downloaded on my Kindle over Christmas was Mark Forsyth's The Etymologicon.  This is a book all about language, where it comes from and how it has developed and is a real joy to read as it is written in such a witty and engaging way.

I'll be sharing some of the information that particularly caught my eye over the next few weeks,  but today I wanted to introduce you to the wonderful world of palindromes.



Mark Forsyth says "the neatest palindrome in English is undoubtedly

"A man, a plan, a canal: Panama".

It is indeed, for a palindrome is word phrase or number that can be read the same way in either direction
(punctuation, capitals and spaces are usually ignored)   In the above you have a sentence that can be read backwards as well as forwards - take a look at it again to see what I mean.

Apparently palindromes have been in evidence from as long ago as 79AD so we've had plenty of time to hone them!  Please enjoy the following examples:

Madam I'm Adam
Never odd or even
Rise to vote sir
Was it a rat I saw
Step on no pets
Drab as a fool, aloof as a bard
Too hot to hoot
So many dynamos!
Norma is as selfless as I am, Ron
Some men interpret nine memos

Have you seen any palindromes that you would like to share,  Indeed - I challenge you - can you make one up!  I look forward to hearing and sharing.

If you liked this post you will enjoy Contranyms - caution this post will mess with your mind

Stumped for a new tweet? Use my tweetables!

Palindrome example: a man, a plan, a canal: Panama - read it backwards! click to tweet

Palindrome example: Madam I'm Adam - read it backwards! click to tweet


Thanks to Digitalnative on Flick for the photo!
.